Irwin Towers Fire

Authorities respond to a fire at Irwin Towers Sept. 6 as residents are evacuated.

Members of the Douglas Fire Department, Wyoming Highway Patrol, Memorial Hospital of Converse County and other emergency first responders sought to extinguish a reported fire at the Irwin Towers apartment building on 120 S. 5th Street in Douglas on Sunday afternoon.

The fire was contained to a single apartment on the fourth floor and was caused by an air fryer appliance in the tenant's kitchen that had short-circuited, Irwin Towers Executive Director Kathy Johnson said.

No one was injured in the fire and residents of the building were safely evacuated, she said. 

Authorities were first alerted to the fire around 2:30 p.m. Residents of the building were evacuated by members of the Douglas Fire Department shortly thereafter. 

A section of S. 4th Street, which borders the west side of the apartment building, was closed to traffic. 

For more information please see this week's issue of The Douglas Budget.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.